The Lord has done great
things for us, whereof we are glad.
Isaac Wrenn, Bolling Fowler, Dabney Tinsley, and Frederick
James were led by the Holy Spirit to establish the Second
Union Baptist Church. A brush arbor was erected to serve
as the first church building located near an establishment
known as Bryceís Store, a short distance from the churchís
present location. Second Union Baptist Church was formed out
of Perkins Church after the Civil War.
the Church called as its first leader Reverend John Mosby.
Reverend Mosby was given a vision for the church. The
Church purchased an acre of land on which a log structure
was erected. The Church continued to grow spiritually and
numerically including the appointment of 19 men as Trustees.
After 18 years of unwavering service, Reverend Mosby
resigned in 1898.
Robert James White
was installed as the second pastor in 1899. During the next
32 years, many souls were saved and the log structure soon
proved inadequate and was torn down. The sanctuary portion
of the present church was built, which became the first
edifice of Second Union Baptist Church. Also, under Reverend
Whiteís leadership a Finance and Budget Committee was
instituted and pulpit furniture, church pews, and insurance
on the church and its contents were purchased. In the field
of ministry, six ministers were licensed to preach: Reverend
Edward Cooper, Reverend Mason Tyler, Reverend Maxwell Evans,
Reverend Dabney Tinsley, Reverend Thomas Christian, and
Reverend Maxie Robinson. Reverend White served the church
diligently until his death in 1931
through 1953, the Church flourished under the sacrificial
leadership of Reverend Houston B. Perry, who worked
untiringly to make Second Union Baptist Church a growing
church, both physically and spiritually. In addition, the
Church made great strides in terms of its membership and
financial condition. A well was dug, and a Baptistery and
electricity were installed. The Senior and
Junior Missionary Circles, the Sunday School, the Senior
Choir, the Helping Hand Club, the Progressive Club, and the
Usher Board were instituted. With Godís divine blessings
three rooms were added onto the existing edifice and a
half-acre of land was purchased, earmarked for cemetery use.
Perry was called to pastor another congregation in
Williamsport, Pennsylvania, leaving the Church without a
spiritual leader until the Lord called Reverend Herman R.
Clarke in March of 1954.
Clarke was influential in reorganizing the Deacons and
Trustees Club and revitalizing the Music Department with the
addition of three choirs: Youth, Sunbeam, and Junior Choirs
and the organization of the Starlight Gospel Chorus. The
commencement of Prayer and Praise Service began and the
Improvement Club was started. Improvements were made to the
interior of the church, and an additional half-acre of land
was bought for cemetery use. The Church acquired the Second
Union School to be used as an Educational Building from the
Goochland County School Board. A continuous building fund
was established, and due to steady increase in membership,
the Sunday Worship Services were expanded to the second and
fourth Sundays of each month. Reverend Joseph Haden, Sr.
was licensed and ordained into the Gospel ministry under
Reverend Clarkeís tutelage. Regretfully, Reverend Clarke
resigned on December 12, 1970.
After much prayer,
the Lord blessed Second Union Baptist Church on March 18,
1973 with its fifth pastor, the Reverend Dr. Donald L.
Trent, Sr., who served 40 years, a period longer than
any of his predecessors. Under his dynamic leadership, he
strived to lead the congregation from membership to
the Church grew spiritually and numerically.
prophetic vision resulted in a variety of challenges for
Christian service. Being motivated by his spiritual guidance
and leadership, the Church continued to witness to the wider
community as evident through outreach ministries such as
the Ministry of Visitation: Sinners, Inactive, Hospital, and
Convalescent, Communion Ministry, Tape Ministry, Sick and
Shut-In Ministry/Home Visitation, Civic and Community
Affairs Ministry, Ministry of Incarceration
and a Mentoring Program
was started at Byrd Elementary.
Reverend Trent was instrumental in organizing the music
ministry and adding new auxiliaries for the expansion of
Godís work, namely the D. L. Trent Choir, the Male Choir,
the Deaconess Ministry, the Womenís Ministry, the Sick List
Ministry, the Praise Dance Ministry, the Boys to Positive
Menís Ministry, the Scholarship Committee, a Memorial Day
Committee, the Youth and Children in Unity, weekly Adult &
Childrenís Bible Study, Childrenís Church Ministry, the
Second Union Baptist Church library, Fourth Sunday Youth
Ministry, annual Family and Friendís Day had its origin
under his leadership, Vacation Bible School, Spring Revival,
Sunday Morning Prayer and Praise Service was initiated, as
well as the Morning Worship Service was extended to
full-time, a summer youth program and a tutorial program
were offered under his leadership. Moreover, approximately
10 Sunday school
teachers and five Bible Study teachers were added to the
Under Reverend Trentís divine leadership, the Lord blessed
Second Union to make tremendous strides materially including
the addition of three classrooms and restrooms, the exterior
of the church was bricked, a Fellowship Hall was attached to
the existing sanctuary, the Pastorís Office was redecorated,
and the choir loft and pulpit were enlarged. The parking lot
was widened and asphalted and a storage building was
erected. Front and side entrances to the cemetery were
constructed. In addition approximately 37 acres of land was
purchased allowing for future building expansions and
additional cemetery space. Moreover, local and state
politicians, religious, and community leaders joined with
the members of Second Union Baptist Church to dedicate the
Second Union School as a historical landmark in Goochland,
became our first full-time Pastor on January 1, 2003. Under
ministers were licensed including
ordained, 13 deacons have been ordained, and
trustees have been appointed to the Evangelism Ministry.
On November 10, 2013, the Lord blessed Second Union
Baptist Church with its sixth pastor, Pastor Stevie
Trent, Sr., son of the late Reverend Dr. Donald L.
Trent, Sr. Pastor Stevie Trent, Sr. has made revisions
to our morning service to improve the flow and receipt
of the Word of God. He has initiated Casual Sunday on 4th
Sundays, the audio visual ministry has been improved
with new speakers to help aid in the delivering of the
Word, and the music ministry purchased new drums. As we
continue to grow and allow our theme, ďGod Is Doing A
New ThingĒ to manifest at Second Union Baptist Church
there will be many more changes ahead.
Yes, Second Union
Baptist Church is a church on the move with over
So, there we are --149
years of faithfully working and witnessing for the Lord, our
God. Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great
cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders
and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with
perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes
on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith.
Hebrews 12: 1-2